Monday, May 29, 2006

Quality, not quantity...

Well, I just got back to Eugene after a few days in Portland for the Memorial Day weekend, and I can honestly say that it was one of the best weekends I've had in awhile. Because my posting frequency has gone down significantly since school ended, this will be a longer post with more pictures.

I got to Portland Friday evening and didn't really do anything except watch the taped version of "So You Think You Can Dance..." with Missi (the things you do for the ones you love!).

On Saturday I went to my grandparents house and spent some time with them. Missi had to work so I was on kid-duty. In the afternoon I helped my father-in-law do some yard work. I know, I know, sounds like a great weekend so far...Trust me, it does get better. On Saturday night, our good friends JE and AC came over for dinner and after dinner JE and I went to Tualatin Island Greens to hit a bucket of balls. I hadn't hung out with him for a few weeks so it was a good time and he did a great job of reminding me just how bad I am at golf.

Sunday was church and some family birthday parties to attend. On Sunday night, Missi went out with some girlfriends so I decided to rent a movie that I knew she wouldn't want to see with me. I watched Riding Giants, a documentary on the history of big wave surfing. If you like documentaries (me), surf, or are intrigued by the sport (me again), I would definitely recommend it. It's a really well-done film and the stuff that these big wave surfers do is incredible.

The real highlight of the weekend came today, when I hosted Zimel Bowl 2006. You might remember me mentioning that I organize a Memorial Day flag football game each year and this year, because he is moving to Florida in a few months, we decided to name the game after one of my best friends Adam Zimel (pictured above).

Without any exaggeration, I can say that every time we get together to play flag football, it's a highlight of my year. We had a great group of 13 guys show up (7 on 6 with an all-time offensive player), the weather was perfect, nobody got seriously injured and I think everybody had a good time. The champs got their commemorative T-shirts (OK, actually almost everyone got one), so we'll all have a way of remembering the game. I played all-time offense in the second half, so I can honestly say that I was part of the winning team.

A few more pictures from the game:


PQ and I at Zimel Bowl 2006

Check out the uniform on this guy...

BG and Adam after the game.

Post-game photo



Remember, another flag football game will be scheduled for the fall/winter season. It used to be a Turkey Bowl, but now that I am back in school the Thanksgiving weekend is important for exam prep, so I'll pick a different weekend. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: