Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A round of applause please...

Originally posted over on that other blog I write for:

###

So, we’re getting down to the last few classes of the semester. I’ve been pretty remiss about posting on here since I’ve been distracted by finals prep and a job search, but I was thinking today about a weird little tradition that I always find very cool.

Here at U of O, on the last day of class, right before the end of the class period, the professor usually makes a few “closing remarks” along the lines of: "It’s been a real pleasure to teach all of you this past semester, and I wish you the best on the exam and into the future…”

And then (this is the part that I really like) everyone bursts out in a spontaneous round of applause for the professor. It’s sort of a sign of appreciation from the students to the professor for guiding them through the legal morass of, say, Commercial Law, and it is one of those “warm fuzzy” moments that we all experience from time to time. It’s a unique tradition that I’m definitely looking forward to.

Did any of my fellow bloggers have this experience at undergrad? I never did, but I went to a pretty small, subdued, private liberal arts college. Maybe it’s just a large state school thing?

No comments: