Monday, July 17, 2006

Highlights

Some highlights from the last week or so.

We had our last T-ball game and our parents vs. kids All-Star game. It was a really fun season and I am glad I coached. I started out with about 20 players and it was really tough to manage all of the players. We split the group into two teams and things became much easier. We didn’t keep score on any of the games so I don’t know what our record was, but it was a really fun time.

One more thing on this point…Coaching Drew’s team this season gave me an increased admiration for those parents who can effectively coach their child. At times Drew had difficulty seeing me as a “coach” and instead wanted to look at me as “dad.” He would not want to accept suggestions or he would mope if he didn’t get to play the position he wanted – behaviors that almost certainly wouldn’t have surfaced if someone else was coaching.

On Thursday my friend Jeff drove down from Portland for a work meeting in Springfield. Despite a very busy schedule, he was kind enough to hang around Thursday afternoon and evening. We met at Fiddler’s Green, where Jeff was checking out new hybrids. Missi was in Portland so Jeff and I took the kids out to Orchard Point Park on Fern Ridge Reservoir. After that it was Burrito Amigos for dinner and then to the Ems game. We left after 7 innings and the score was 2 – 0. Wouldn’t you know it that the Yakima Bears scored 2 runs in the 8th to tie it up and then the Ems hit a go-ahead home run to take the lead heading into the ninth. What great timing for our departure! It was really fun to hang out with Jeff for awhile.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jeff and I at the game. Photo credit to Drew.

This past weekend was a full one. On Saturday morning we stopped by our friend Monica’s apartment for awhile to help her move and then we headed up the McKenzie River to meet Missi’s dad and his family. Every summer they spend 5 days at a The Wayfarer, a quaint resort on the banks of the McKenzie. We floated the river, laid in the sun, played croquet, and relaxed. We set up a tent there and stayed Saturday night and returned to Eugene Sunday. Sunday evening we gave Drew the option of either cutting his hair short all over or trimming up the mohawk that we had given him on a whim a few weeks earlier. He chose the mohawk. See below.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sam at the River

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The fearless rafters


This week I am organizing my inaugural Eugene flag football game. I’ve already got a good number of people who have confirmed so it should be fun. Email me if you’re interested in playing. Tuesday I will be receiving a tour of the new federal courthouse here in Eugene. On Thursday the whole family is going to Portland for a friend’s wedding this weekend.

No comments: