Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A "real" update...

Wow, where do I begin?

My summer "vacation" has now officially come to an end and I have once again joined the ranks of the gainfully employed. I was tremendously excited when I got this job and it has lived up to (or exceeded) all of my expectations. Every day I am encountering something that is extremely interesting.

Today marked my first week on the job and so far I have been doing a lot of training on the policies and protocol of the office. Along with that I have been in court quite a bit, usually watching sentencing hearings or detention hearings. I have also sat in on a proffer session, which is basically where a convicted defendant spills their guts in the hope that the information they share will lead to a reduction in their sentence. Along with that I have done some research projects on the marital privilege (in general, a husband or wife cannot testify against each other) and sentencing enhancements. Every one I am working with has been great and I really feel like I am learning a lot not just about the law, but also what it is to be a legal professional. It's great to have a job that I am excited to go to every morning. Of course, let's just hope that I continue to feel that way in about 6 months.

Another exciting development that has transpired in the past few weeks has been an invitation to speak at Oregon Boys State. As some of you know, I went to Boys State as a high school senior, and that experience, along with the subsequent trip(s) to Boys Nation really helped define some of my life goals. I'm not sure exactly what I will speak about but I have a few ideas that I'm tossing around.

The fam is doing great. Samantha is growing up more each and every day - speaking more, becoming more independant, fighting with her brother - all the usual stuff! Drew is on the verge of finishing his first year of "real" school - kindergarten. He loves playing T-ball and he is excited about his recent acquisition of a Gameboy. Missi is in Portland for a few days working (shopping) at the Nordstrom's half-yearly sale.



My girls at a community festival we went to last weekend



Also, one of my best friends in the world, Adam, and his wife welcomed a new son into the world two days ago. Congratulations to them!

The amazing MySpace continues to surprise me by "connecting" me with friends from the past who I haven't heard from in years.

This post has been sort of a smorgasbord of information and I haven't been too focused or direct in communicating it, but the basic message is that, all in all, it has been a great summer so far.

Currently listening to: OAR live at the Hammerstein Ballroom, November 27, 2004

No comments: