Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ah yes...I remember International Shoe

Here I am in my third year of law school, a mere two months or so from graduating, and just recently I found myself citing to a case that we studied back when we were fledgling law students trying to figure out how to “brief” a case or figure out what the “procedural posture” was. I’m taking this awesome class called Federal Judicial Settlements, taught by United States Magistrate Judge Tom Coffin, and I was working on drafting up a settlement letter for a contract dispute between two nursery suppliers. (No, not that type of nursery. That type of nursery). Anyway, one of the companies is from Oregon and one is from Arizona. The Arizona company is asserting that the federal court here in Oregon doesn’t have “personal jurisdiction” over it. In responding to their argument (I’m representing the Oregon company), I actually cited to the “minimum contacts test set forth in International Shoe v. Washington. This case is one of “the biggies” – taught by every Civil Procedure prof at every law school in the country. I just found it funny that here I am, nearly at the end of my time at law school, referring back to stuff that I studied in my first few months here in Eugene. Everything goes full circle!

No comments: