Wednesday, April 11, 2007

On a more serious note...

Generally I keep the content on this blog pretty light, but here is a thought I had today while driving to school:

When are we, as a society, going to once and for all put racism behind us? What is it going to take? We fought a Civil War over this issue over a century ago; we experienced a tumultuous period in the Civil Rights Era over a half-century ago, but issues still persist. When are people finally going to be truly colorblind?

The two stories that really got me thinking about this was the disgraceful comments made by radio host Don Imus in reference to African-American female basketball players at Rutgers and the Duke lacrosse case. Both of these situations were absolutely horrible, albeit each for different reasons. I won't go into an analysis of each situation - there are countless other places where you can find that on the Internet - but I will say that it saddens me that our society can't seem to overcome this tremendously important issue.

No comments: