Wednesday, January 09, 2008

C'mon now Associated Press...

What are they teaching in Journalism School these days? The regular readers of this blog (all 5 of you) know that I sort of have a "thing" about misspelled words in public places. Most recently, I posted about an "interesting" sign I found in a local Wal-Mart.

Today, I bring you an instance where the Associated Press misspelled a word and sent it out on the newswire. I'm a big fan of Johnny Cash, so it isn't a surprise that I clicked on a news story about the deceased country legend when it appeared on the front page of Yahoo (the actual story talks about how a benefit concert honoring Cash has been cancelled). However, my eyes couldn't help but notice that the wire reporter wrote: "A concert marking the 40th anniversary of Johnny Cash's famous concert at Folsom State Prison has been scraped, with the prison and the promoter blaming each other for the cancellation."

Now, it's pretty clear that the writer meant "scrapped" rather than "scraped," but don't they have editors who look at these stories before they are published on the front page of one of the Internet's most-visited web pages?

In case they take down the link or change the story, here is a screen shot I grabbed:



UPDATE: If you click on the link to the story, the word has since been changed to "scrapped." Glad I took the screen shot!

No comments: