Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Not THAT feeling again...

Why, oh why, do I already have the "finals-esque" feeling already? It's not easily described, but it is essentially a nervous, almost frenetic energy and the thought that I won't get everything done, coupled with the normal thoughts of procrastination and wondering where to start. I thought this feeling isn't supposed to hit until around April 1, when I begin my exam prep in earnest. I guess the catalyst for such a feeling is the National Appellate Advocacy Competition. I'm going to Las Vegas in March to give oral arguments (in a 9th Circuit courtroom, which will be cool), but before that our team needs to submit a substantial brief on the issues. Therefore, I am almost completely foregoing all of my normal academic responsibilities for this first week of school while I work on the brief. In total, it needs to be around 35 pages long, and I'm basically splitting it with my partner. I'm writing on "shaming conditions," or those type of punishment famously seen imposed upon Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter. The brief is due next Wednesday, so hopefully like will return to "normal" after it's finished. It's a good thing I'm getting an academic credit for this effort.

Here's a whimsical, yet thoughtful, quote for the day: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Dr. Seuss

P.S. About a week ago I sent out a "Year in Review" newsletter. If you didn't receive this and you'd like too, please email me: johnsamuelwilson AT gmail DOT com

No comments: