Monday, September 15, 2008

Mt. Adams Recap

I just returned from one of the best weekends I've had in quite awhile.

When I started planning this "guy's weekend" climb up Mt. Adams many months ago, I obviously had high hopes, but they were tempered by the reality that climbing mountains is tough work and anytime you put 6 different guys together out in the woods, things can get a bit "tenuous."

Well, my high hopes and expectations were exceeded this past weekend. Aside from a brushfire that closed the freeway caused us to sit on I-84 for a few hours, I can't really think of anything that went wrong on this trip.

Because I took over 250 photos in 3 days, I'll save my feeble attempts to wax poetic about the beauty of nature or the sense of accomplishment one receives from succeeding at a challenging endeavor, and instead I'll just let the photos describe the incredible time we had.


One of the best parts of the weekend was having my buddy Adam fly in from Austin, TX to join us.


With the trucks all packed, we're ready to go conquer the mountain!


Our trip up to camp was delayed by a few hours because a brushfire in Hood River shut down I-84. Jeff's truck is the red Toyota Tundra with the door open.


Mt. Adams loomed large in the distance as we came in on the road from Trout Lake.


Adam and I were on dinner duty Friday night. The menu included spaghetti, meatballs, and Caesar salad.



It was comforting to know that the rainbow headlamp made another appearance this year.



Nothing says fun like the 'ol "rubber snake and plastic spider in the sleeping bag" trick.



Heading out for the climb at 3:30AM. Why does Jeff (in the red jacket) look so happy and awake?



Adam performs his pre-climbing ritual dance (sort of like a haka)



An alpine sunrise is a site to behold.



Making my way up the first glacier.


Jeff sits in quiet contemplation (either that or he's just catching his breath).



Jesse at "Piker's Peak" - the false summit. Notice Adam laying on the ground behind him.



Craig is heading up the mountain. After struggling up a very tough and very scary route on South Sister last year (for his first climbing experience), Craig owned Mt. Adams this year as he just motored right up to the top. It was very impressive.



Taking a break before the final summit push.



Jeff, Jesse and Sean at the top.



Because of the unbelievably great weather, Mt. Rainier made a nice background for summit photos like this one (perhaps the mountain was beckoning us to try to come climb it?!?).



Adam put in a Texas-sized effort to get up that mountain and he was rewarded by achieving the summit.



Check out the second field to the bottom. That's the elevation the GPS was reading at the top: 12,246 (my guide book lists the official height as 12,252, which is taken from a survey marker on top of a small Forest Service cabin/shelter that has remained on the summit for over 100 years).



WE DID IT!

P.S. To the five other guys who joined me on this trip: Jesse, Jeff, Adam, Craig, and Sean - thanks so much for an incredible weekend and I'm already looking forward to next year!

No comments: