Thursday, June 05, 2008

Catching up on odds and ends...

The subtitle for this blog entry could be “A Big Week for Drew”

Drew did a great job at the spelling bee. He ended up finishing in second place behind “Beverly,” a girl with savant-like spelling knowledge. Drew ended up being eliminated on the word “which,” which he spelled “wich.” He was a bit bummed out by this because he totally knows how to spell this word, but we are totally proud of him and he did a great job.

It was a big week for Drew. Not only did he have the Spelling Bee on Friday, but he had his first piano recital on Sunday. He played three songs and did really well. Pics and perhaps even some video to follow.

On Tuesday night, Drew’s baseball team had their first game with “kid pitch.” Basically that means that all of the games until this point have been played with a JUGS pitching machine delivering the pitches to the hitters. The last four games of the season have kids pitching. Drew and I have been working a bit on pitching and he has really wanted to pitch, but I honestly wasn’t sure if he had the control he needed. Well, after he pitched pretty well in practice, he got to pitch in the game on Tuesday. He only pitched for one inning, but he got two strikeouts and one groundout. He also had a few walks and one hit batsman, but on the whole he did a great job and he was totally pumped. I have photos and video of his pitching performance that I took on my phone, but I can't seem to synch them over to my computer, so you'll just have take my word for it!

1 comment:

Phil and Jessica Smith said...

That's an easy one to go down on, Drew. Bummer! I still remember my one and only spelling bee in which I went down on either "yule" or "you'll". I can't remember if they tricked me by using an unfamiliar term to a 9 year old: yule, or if I dropped the apostrophe in the contraction. Either way, who expects kids to know these things? I'm still bitter.
2nd place is AHSUM! Goh goh goh Droo!