Monday, March 05, 2007

Only in Eugene

File these two under "Only in Eugene"

1. I went to my favorite bakery the other morning to get a scone. They always offer the marionberry scone, but they also have a rotating "special." I almost always go for the special because I really like the variety. On this particular morning, the little sign describing the type of scone said "Goji Berry." I feel like I've got a decent handle on the different berries typically used in baking, but I had never heard of the Goji Berry. When I asked the baker what it was, she said, "The Goji Berry is from Nepal and it is just packed with antioxidants. It's really huge on the health food circuit right now." So, I had a Goji Berry scone and it was OK. Here's some more info on the Goji Berry (also known as Wolfberry!).

2. I was driving behind this guy today and when the light turned red I had to ask him to take a picture of his bike trailer. Only in Eugene do you see a guy pulling a trailer FULL OF LUMBER. This is taking eco-sensitivity to the extreme. I asked the rider if he had made the trailer himself, and he told me that he purchased it from Bikes at Work and that the trailer was capable of hauling a half ton of lumber!





Only in Eugene do you get unique experiences like these!

No comments: